Guided Truckee River Fly Fishing. Welcome to Gilligan’s Guide Service.
Guided Fly Fishing the Truckee River, Little Truckee River, Pyramid Lake Nevada, Truckee-Tahoe-Reno
A guided trip for beginners and experienced anglers includes instruction that builds a basic foundation necessary not only to catch fish but to understand the patterns in which fish feed and what they feed on particularly in the Truckee River throughout the changing seasons. A day with Gilligan’s Guide Service also includes honing the proper casting technique and fly presentation in order for an angler to have success on some of the most beautiful and difficult waters around Truckee, Tahoe, and Reno.
If you are new to fly fishing and do not have equipment, Gill will provide gear including waders, boots, and rods at no additional cost. Gilligan’s Guide service runs trips year round along the Truckee River, including float trips along the Nevada side, Little Truckee River, and Pyramid Lake Nevada.
Truckee River Fly Fishing – Latest Blog Posts
- Truckee River Fly Fishing Report December 3 2023Bit warmer, and feeling much more like El Niño on the Truckee River We got out of the early morning teens, East winds stopped blowing, and kinda mild rainy’ish type weather. Good for Winter fly fishing on the Truckee River. Flows are big for this time of year. About 450 cfs here in Hirschdale, and around 550 cfs out East in Nevada on the lower river. Great fishing flows for sure. No snow to worry about anywhere on the river. We’ll get our snow, but really feeling like we’re gonna get more rain than snow this year. That lines up good for the fly fishing here.
- Truckee River Fly Fishing Report November 27 2023Winter fly fishing on the Truckee River. Cold kinda all up and down the river. At least this week. Waiting for El Niño to kick in. Big warm storms and a big river, love the stuff. Right now she’s cold. Look for slow walking pace water, 2-5 feet deep. You’ll always get a feeding window sometime during the day, no matter how cold it is. No ice or anything like that, and in fact in will get almost into the 40’s in the afternoon, just cold in the mornings. Flows are at 440, cfs here in Hirschdale. Those are big flows for this time of year. 550 out East on the lower Truckee River in Nevada. Benefits of a banger snow year. It was about 140 cfs this time last year. Good flies are small stuff. Anything small and dark. Eggs, worms, and stuff like that work great too. Streamers can work well through the frog water. Post spawn brown trout like a good protein source right now.
- Truckee River Fly Fishing Report November 14 2023Pretty balmy mid-November weather in Truckee. When’s Winter gonna start? Hard to say. Have to admit it’s kinda nice right now. We’ll get the snow, it’s coming. Ain’t the best streamer weather. I love pounding them around this time of year. That streamer bite happens when the weather is nasty, not mid-60’s and sunny. I’d focus my time on nymphing right now, Euro, or bobber. Look at fishing the frog water early. Bobber rigs are great for that, then, fish the rifles after the water warms up. Euro rigs are the best for that. Trout move, Summer and Winter. I did some bobber fishing the other day and crushed them. Forget how well it can work in the slow frog water than your flies need to be suspended. I guess you’ll see me bobber fishing again some more, lol. Looks like most browns are in the process of spawning out East on the lower river, and are just about done up here on the CA side. I think the best streamer fishing happens post spawn, and again in the Spring on the Truckee River.
- Truckee River Fly Fishing Report November 7 2023Little taste of Winter on the Truckee River. Finally done with the warm daytime temps. Good and bad right. It’s nice to have the t-shirt on in November, but those big fish like the nasty weather. I expect this week to be pretty good. When you get the water temps to crash, the bigger fish like to eat. It’s like they know Winter is coming. Should be a good streamer week. Most trouts will move into the slower water. If and when it warms up during the day, they can move into some faster water to feed. Midges, blue wings, etc. There’s some fish that are still spread out, but that should change here this week. Flows are great from Boca on down through Nevada.
- Truckee River Fly Fishing Report October 30 2023Welp, Indian summer is done. Cold here in the mountains on the the Truckee River. Good news though, this week will be warm and cloudy. That will be good for just about everything, anywhere on the river. It’ll get us out of this stagnant, cold sunny pattern that we slipped in too. Have a dry fly rod, streamer rod, and nymph rod, because they will all be good this week. Flows are still right around 400 cubes here in the Hirsch, and around 500 out East on the Nevada side of the Truckee River. Kinda waiting on El Niño. If we do have a wet warm Winter, that’s really good news for our fishing. The Truckee’s good when she’s pumping.
- Truckee River Fly Fishing Report October 23 2023Little swing in the weather on the Truckee River. Pretty warm and sunny last week, but this week looks like old fashioned Truckee Fall weather. The change will usually get them trouts feeding. Look for the streamer fishing to improve this week, the dry fly fishing and everything else. Flows are pretty good, about 400 cubes here in the Hirsch, and not much difference all the way down river. Flows are pretty good out on the Little Truckee River. That will be a great place to do some dry fly fishing until the snow flys and you can’t drive there. Fun overall time to fish before Winter sets in.